Approximately five per cent of Australians suffer from sleep apnoea, mostly males with about one in four men over the age of 30 years being affected.
Sleep apnoea is a potentially serious sleep disorder which should be diagnosed and treated in conjunction with your doctor. Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) interrupts normal breathing, due to the airways briefly collapsing during sleep and obstructing the passage of air into the lungs.
Sleep apnoea severity is defined by the hourly frequency of breathing interruption as follows:
- Normal sleep – fewer than five interruptions per hour
- Mild; apnoea – between 5 and 15 interruptions per hour
- Moderate apnoea – between 15 and 30 interruptions per hour
- Severe apnoea – more than 30 interruptions per hour.
For a comprehensive review about how OSA may affect your health click here
Source: Dreamsleep LLC, 2018
A continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine is the most commonly prescribed device for treating sleep apnea disorders. CPAP machines maintain a steady flow of air into the nose and mouth during sleep, providing an air split to keep airways open and allow normal breathing and restful sleep to occur.
Health benefits of treating your sleep apnea include:
- improves sleep quality and reduces morning headaches
- awake refreshed with improved concentration
- lowers the risk of a heart attack, stroke, or other cardiovascular event
- helps improve high blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol control
- improves mood and libidio
Airssential stocks a wide range of sleep apnoea products to help manage OSA and allow you to achieve a more restful sleep, including the German made Hoffritcher products, the outstanding range of silent Hypnus devices, spare parts including tubing, masks and CPAP pillows.